The project will comprise of five stages, as set out below:
The programme is being updated at present. As previously advised we have extended the brief of the Carrick on Shannon Flood Relief Scheme to include analysis of the river downstream of Jamestown. These works are well advanced and are being used to assess the various options we informed the public of during Public Consultation No2 between 20th July 2023 and the 24th Aug 2023.
The impact of this extended brief on the timeframe for the project is that we expect to advise the public of the Preferred Option at the beginning of 2024. We then expect to submit the project to an Bord Pleanála for planning approval towards the end of 2024/beginning of 2025.
Stage I – Options Assessment, Scheme Development and Design
- Carry out the review and assessment of the technical analysis and preferred measures identified in the Shannon CFRAM Study Reports and the FRMP for Unit of Management 25-26.
- Hydrological and hydraulic modelling.
- Identification and undertaking of baseline environmental surveys.
- Carrying out a Constraints Study to identify the key environmental issues in the study area, which may be impacted upon by possible flood alleviation measures, and/or which may impose constraints on the viability and/or design of one or more measures.
- Assessment of potential flood risk management options to alleviate the risk of flooding to the community of Carrick on Shannon.
- Selection, development and design of a preferred option (the ‘Scheme’).
- Preparation of an initial Appropriate Assessment Screening Statement, Natura Impact Statement and Environmental Impact Assessment Reports.
Stage II – Planning/Development Consent Processes
- Preparation of documentation required to progress the Scheme through the necessary planning and other statutory processes.
Stage III – Detailed Construction Design and Tender
- Undertake and complete the detailed construction design of the Scheme.
- Preparation of contract documents and undertaking the procurement of the works contractor to construct the Scheme.
Stage IV – Construction Supervision & Project Management Service
- Supervision of the construction of the Scheme, and provision of Project Management Services.
Stage V – Handover of Works
- Handover of the newly constructed scheme to Leitrim County Council.